Apply to be a tutor!
Apply to be student tutor!
** Call for new tutors for the fall of 2021 is closed.**
Did you find your own tutors great and want to be apart of welcoming the new students to TUAS in fall 2021?
As a tutor you get to teach and help new students from day one. Your responsibilities are for example:
- To plan the orientation days with the personnel of TUAS
- To teach how to manage and how to study at TUAS
- To introduce new students to student culture and free time activities
- To support new students as they get to know each other
- Promote the commitment and motivation to their studies
- Take part in the marketing of your studies and degree programme
What do you get while acting as a tutor?
For being a tutor, you’ll receive 3 credits. On top of that, you’ll meet new people and get valuable experience of being in a group and guiding one. As a tutor, you’ll also get experience at organizing events and how a group actually works. You don’t need to manage all by yourself because you’ll get support from other tutors, personnel of TUAS and the student union.
As a tutor you get to be there to welcome the new freshmen to TUAS starting from the very first days!
How to apply?
**The application period is closed.**
The tutor selecting process consists of following parts: the application form, a group interview and checking the ECTS.
Please fill the application form carefully since the applicants will be chosen for the interview based on the application forms.
The applicant’s motivation for tutoring must be turned out in the application form along with the reasons why the applicant is applying for the post of a peer tutors. In the application forms we are looking for the applicant’s understanding of tutoring in general – what are the tasks of a peer tutor and what is the meaning of it for the applicant as well as the freshmen.
The application forms will be evaluated on a scale 1-5. The applicant must get at least 2 point from the application form in order for us to invite you to the tutor’s group interview (the next step in the applying process). In case the applicant is granted full 5 points from the application form and the guidance counsellor an/or the head tutor is also in favor the selection can the applicant be chosen without the interview.
The criteria for the applications are found here.
The applicants will be contacted after the application period in December of 2020.
Group interview in Zoom
The applicants will be invited to a group interview based on their application form. The group interviews are normally held among one degree programme students.
- The group interviews are held in January
- The invitation to the froup interview is sent per e-mail to the applicants after the application period
- It is not possible to change the interview time that is given unless you have a really heavy reason
- It takes about 30-45 minutes per interview
More accurate schedules of the interviews will be announced later this year.
The complete criteria for the selection of peer tutors
- The selections are made based on the applications, group interviews and the ECTS check-up.
- The application forms are evaluated on scale 1-5. The applicant must receive at least two points from the application form in order to get invited to the group interview
- In the group interview we emphasize the cooperation and communications skills and also we use flexibility, enthusiasm, well-being angle, social discretion and understanding the role of a peer tutor as a criteria
- The selection can also be based on the group dynamics if there is more applicants than the need of the tutors is
- We seek to acknowledge the diversity of the applicants
- With each applicant the ECTS scores and grades are checked along with other notices or comments that can either speak for the selection or prevent it. The peer tutors must be worthy of both TUAS and the Student Union TUO’s confidence
- If the applicant acts in a way that is inappropriate for such a trusteeship can this be taken into consideration in the selection process
- In compelling situations such as for example when there are not enough of the applicant can these criteria be altered
Other information about the selections
- We are mainly looking for new tutors on same degree programmes where we are searching the tutors
- TUO will contact all the applicants after the application period
- For the selected tutors a link is sent where you will find the sign up form for the mandatory tutor training day that is held in February or in March 2021
For more information Tero Rinne (firstname.lastname@example.org) or your study counsellor.
The Student Union – TUO holds the right to change these terms at any point.